Katerina Siniakova stuns Serena Williams to reach Parma quarterfinal


Serena Williams’ disappointing return to tennis continued when she lost in straight sets to 68th Katerina Siniakova in the second round of the Emilia-Romagna Open on Tuesday.

Serena Williams' French Open preparations were struck by defeat in Parma. (AP photo)

Serena Williams’ French Open preparations were struck by defeat in Parma. (AP photo)

HIGHLIGHTS

  • Serena Williams crashed in the 2nd round of the Emilia-Romagna Open
  • Serena Williams lost 6-7, 2-6 to Katerina Siniakova
  • Williams lost in the second round of the Emilia-Romagna Open

Serena Williams’ preparation for the French Open suffered another blow with her loss to Katerina Siniakova in the second round of the Emilia-Romagna Open on Tuesday. Siniakova turned out to be too strong for Williams, who lost 7: 6 (4) and 6: 2 in the second round.

Williams is preparing for the French Open in Paris, which starts on May 30th.

“I didn’t make a lot of mistakes and I think she sensed it,” said Siniakova. “I think she tried to get harder and make a lot of mistakes which helped me. I am really happy that I was able to maintain my level. “

Siniakova secured a target of 5-4 in the first set and that seemed to give the Czech player confidence as she pulled back after the draw in the second set and won 16 of the last 18 points.

The 39-year-old Williams had double faults under pressure and Siniakova sealed the result on her third match point when the American hit a long forehand. Williams had seven double faults for the match.

“It’s great, it means a lot to me,” said Siniakova after the sixth top 10 win of her career. “I played (a) great match. It shows me that I can play like this, I can play well. I just have to try to be more focused every time and stay calm and ready for each point. I get really happy if I could keep it that way. “

Former US Open champion Sloane Stephens reached the quarter-finals after beating fourth-occupied Daria Kasatkina 1: 6, 6: 4, 7: 5.

Third placed Coco Gauff eliminated Kaia Kanepi in a game in the first round with 7: 6 (6), 7: 6 (7). The runner-up Petra Martic also got off to a good start to her Parma campaign when she defeated Varvara Gracheva 6: 4, 6: 2.

Click here for IndiaToday.in full coverage of the coronavirus pandemic.


Post a Comment

और नया पुराने