Wimbledon 2021: I can still play at the highest level, says Andy Murray after making a winning return


The two-time former champion Andy Murray survived a scare on Monday in his first individual match at Wimbledon in four years when he defeated the Georgian Nikoloz Basilashvili 6-4 6-3 5-7 6-3.

Murray, who won the All England Club title in 2013 – and brought Britain its first male champion there in 77 years – and again in 2016 but has since needed two hip surgeries and treated other injuries.

“I keep getting asked: will this be my last Wimbledon? Last game? I don’t know why people keep asking me about it. How, no. I will keep playing. I want to play, ”said Murray during an interview on the pitch.

“I enjoy it and I can still play at the highest level,” said Murray when he spoke again. “He’s 28th in the world and I’ve hardly played any games. And I hit him. “

Basilashvili, the 24th seeder, made a strong comeback in the third set, winning seven games in a row to send the match into a fourth set.

As darkness fell over the All England Club, the players left the pitch with the sunroof closed and the lights on to end the game.

The hiatus had a rejuvenating effect on Murray, who returned to serve in the first game of the fourth game.

Basilashvili immediately broke back on the line with a piercing backhand, but then dropped his serve to love.

Murray had chances to take a 4-1 lead in the fourth round, but Basilashvili dug in to keep in touch and the Georgian then had a breakpoint to return to 4-4.

“It was extremely frustrating not to get on the pitch and I’ve had so little momentum over the past few years. And I just kept trying, kept working hard in the gym, doing the right things to get myself back into that position, ”said Murray. “I am very happy that I can do it again.”

5-0 in the third set, Murray was broken three times in a row and lost seven games in a row. He was a point away from victory twice while leading 5-3 that set before losing his way momentarily.

“That has never happened to me in my career,” said Murray. “But there are things that can happen when you haven’t played games.”

He later said he was struggling with fatigue and some doubts creeping into his head.

After the third set there was a break so that the retractable roof of the arena could be closed to protect it from rain.

Murray said he showered and went to the bathroom.

He also regrouped and regained control.

“A lot of players would have surrendered there,” said Murray. “I did the opposite of that.”

As he played his first singles on center court for four years, the former world number one said, “It’s amazing to be out here again, playing center court again. Such a great atmosphere. I missed playing in front of the fans. It was an incredible reception when I came out. “




Post a Comment

और नया पुराने